Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Num Num Bloggin'

 So, I've decided I would try my hand at a VERY amateur food blog here.  (If I want to be the Midwest version of the Pioneer Woman i best get better at these.)  It was just soooo good, I couldn't not share!

And it's sooo healthy, and I really need healthy options to get back to my former hot bod...

To dedicate long periods of time to boiling/watching something on the stove is next to impossible with the girls, but I love quinoa and wheat berry and other grains so I found these Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad grain salads.



There are three different flavors and I have fallen for these two:
The Harvest Grain Salad & the Tuscan Grain Salad.

The Harvest Grain is a sweeter salad...the reason why I like it.  It has an apple cider vinegar flavored dressing and a garnish of dried cranberries & slivered almonds.  I may or may not have sat down and eaten the whole box.  Maybe,  I don't know.

Today I made the Tuscan Grain.  The dressing over the grains was more of a sun dried tomato flavor.  I was feeling saucy so I added some extras; I had some zucchini & tomatoes from the garden (I normally don't like tomatoes but these little suckers from my garden are soo sweet!) and then I shaved some Parmesan cheese over the top.  

They provided slivered almonds for this as well.  It ended up looking awesome! So colorful!


They suggested other add-ins as well like chic peas, feta cheese, grilled chicken, etc.  For the sweeter Harvest grain they suggested fresh apples or pears.  I would add a bleu cheese or something like that.  Everything is better with cheese...I mean let's get real.  

To recreate these would be a total sinch with the time.  It was quinoa, wheat berry and brown rice.  And the dressings were oil and vingar based.  With the sweet one, add apple cider vinager with EVOO and seasonings.  The Tuscan was pure`d sun dried tomatoes, lemon juice, italian herbs and EVOO.  

They held up well in the fridge (leave the almonds off and add when you eat).  The protion was also perfect because Nathan's not going to eat this...let's get serious.  So there was enough for two lunch and one dinner portion.  

Hope you ENJOY!  I sure did.  

No comments: